Monday, August 16, 2010

Keane's views on Swazi

Keane raced Swazi PRO with Team Numa Optics. They had many challenges to work through, coming out of the race with new friendships.

I had the great opportunity to race with Team Numa Optics. My team mates, Sam,Waldus and Karel were awesome partners. We entered the starting line without ever racing together or really knowing each other. But we got along very well from the day we met each other, two weeks prior to the Swazi.


I started off the race in high spirits and excitement knowing that I'm about to tackle one of the most rewarding AR races. Our first leg started off well and we got into transition within our planne time. The following bike leg carried on much longer than expected. We went for all the optionals not knowing what would lie ahead. We missed one OP and spent two hours looking for it. Finally got it and moved.

Seven hours into the race, Karel started to have some serious issues with his knees, which slowed us down to walking speed. He wanted to stand back and forfeit the race. We encouraged him to carry on,which he did but only for another hour when he really started to battle. The final decision was made by the team and Karel unfortunately opted out of the 2010 Swazi X Pro on day one.

We managed to carry on pretty strong from there. Going through the various legs staying focused on our goal and kept on pushing through all the challenges.

On the second paddle leg I suffered a serious injury. We were approaching a rapid when we over steered the canoe and capsized it. In this process my left hand got stuck to the canoe and pulled my shoulder out of joint. I ended up drifting downstream for about 50m when my teammates pulled me out. I went into shock and the guys covered me with a space blanket to try and keep me warm. After about five minutes the helicopter landed right next to us and airlifted me out to the transition area. My shoulder got "popped" back into place and I took a 60 min nap.

When I woke up I was determined to carry on and finish the race. We missed the last two legs on Day Two and started off on sunday for the final two legs. We decided that it would be fine for me to carry on but to rather skip the rope work section to prevent any further injury to my shoulder.

We were looking forward to the final leg and I was excited to carry on with the race. We managed to cover 40 km of the last leg when Waldus started to suffer from ITB. At this point Sam informed me that we should stop and give our seconds a call to come and pick us up.

This meant that we have reached the end of our race. It was a difficult decision to make and one I hopefully would never have to make again. It was a sad moment for the three of us, coming so close but yet so far.

All in one nutshell:

  • We had some serious set backs in the race,with Karel's injury to my shoulder to Waldus' ITB.
  • We formed a strong bond early in the race, which was important to us knowing that we hardly knew each other.
  • My personal highlight of the race was when I got numerous opportunities to navigate.
  • It turned out to be an extraordinary learning curve. One I will never forget. My list of lessons learned is endless.
  • It was a rough and tough race, exactly what I expected.
  • I had a great time with a bunch of great guys.
Thanks again guys for an unforgettable experience.
Keane Ludick

No comments: