Sunday, November 8, 2009

Foot rogaining fun

What an awesome weekend! Rogaining is probably my favourite orienteering variation and to share it with friends is even better. This was Christo and Francois’ first rogaining experience and they totally excelled. We were without Alex as he is currently in Portugal on Team Cyanosis’ support crew for the AR World Championships. But we were very fortunate to have Nathan Thompson make up our second pair. He’s a superb runner and navigator, so well matched with Christo. I paired up with Francois.


Lisa, Francois, Christo and Nathan: post-race pic

Christo came up from Bloem on Friday afternoon and we headed through to Belfast, meeting Francois at his family friend’s farmhouse. We arrived in the dark and would only see how lovely and green the area is in the morning. After dinner and lekker kuier together and with Francois’ other friends (Izaan, Frans, Renier and Johannes) also joining us at the house, we were off to sleep. With the event only starting at nine, we wouldn’t have to be up at the crack of dawn.

I’d been sick as a dog all week with a flu-throat-chest-coughing-snotty thing – not nice at all, especially before one of my favourite-favourite events. Doc gave me good stuff to take and I was taking everything I could lay my hands on. I’d also been monitoring my heart rate all week and while it wasn’t much elevated, I definitely wasn’t on the health straight-and-narrow. Nonetheless I’d decided to go ahead and take it steady; Francois would just have to go easy on me.

We woke to mist and non-stop rain, which would continue throughout the race. The weather, although great for running, had a major impact on the event because when we drove up there were hardly any cars parked around the lodge at Lakenvlei. Although around 100 teams had entered, only 30-odd showed up to run in the rain.

Francois and I were in the first start batch; we took a few minutes to assess our route options and decided to head North-west-ish first, gobbling up the controls in a mostly clock-wise direction. I definitely kept our pace a bit slower in the beginning, worried about getting my heart rate too high, especially on the ups.

Overall I think our route was sound and efficient. It also worked out perfectly in that we weren’t stressed getting to the finish – it is wicked when you have to run 5min/km to make the finish in time after being out there for just under 6hrs. We had a easy sweep through to the finish, reaching the end with a bit over three minutes to spare. We were second in the mixed category and 8th overall.

Christo and Nathan had an awesome run! They headed East around the dams and vlei before shooting North and working mostly anti-clockwise. They collected all but a few checkpoints to win overall! And by a decent points margin too.

Having run the whole day in the rain and not in tip-top health, I decided not to do the mtb orienteering the next morning. As Nathan was heading back to Joburg for a triathlon, it would leave Christo and Francois together. They decided to chill with me and skip the wet and mud. Instead we stayed up on Saturday night playing ’30 Seconds’ (Johannes and I are the undisputed champions) and had a chilled morning. It was a beautiful day with not a dash of rain in sight. We went for a lovely walk up a beautiful, nearby kloof to see the most spectacular waterfall.

Francois is an excellent rogaine partner and I’m so totally proud of Christo and Nathan’s win. All in all a superb weekend.

No comments: