Saturday, December 12, 2009

Post-ADAC: Sand 'n shoes


My big concern was the desert trekking stage and keeping sand out of our shoes. Last year we lost loads of time because of this. My current gaiter design worked really well but I also realised the major influence of shoe upper fabric. Both Francois and Christo raced in the desert with their Hi-Tec Trail Eruptions; Alex had his Salomons and I was in my Asics, the same ones I wore for TransRockies Run. We all had the same gaiters attached in the same way (sewn on).

Christo and Francois, by far, had less sand in their shoes. Alex and I emptied our shoes at each checkpoint - not vast quantities of sand, but enough that you can feel it. The mesh on the Hi-Tec Trail Eruption is more fine, 'repelling' the fine bits that get through the gaiters.


Gaiters in action! A fast-paced descent down a dune.

Although I'd be wearing my Hi-Tecs quite a bit recently, I'd decided to stick with the Asics because I'd had such a great race in them in the US. I would have been far better off wearing my Hi-Tecs in the desert.

This was yet another good learning experience and I'll pay more attention to shoe fabric, as well as gaiter design, for this and other desert events. Live 'n learn... I have conceived a VERSION 3 of my design - I'll try to make it over the festive period.

No comments: