Monday, November 8, 2010

Triple Challenge all-day racing

The four of us (Lisa, Lizelle S., Adri and Steven) headed down to KZN this weekend for Max Cluer's Triple Challenge event. I've known of it for years but this would be my first entry. Max kindly sponsored two pairs entries in support of our team's preparations for Abu Dhabi Adventure Challenge - we leave in four weeks!

Lizelle, Steven, Lisa and Adri
Lisa
Adri and I teamed up for Triple Challenge and this was the first time that were racing together. We made a good match.


Lisa and Adri
Brad and Andrew were our trusty support crew. Brad lives in Maritzburg and is a long-time friend; Andrew is Steven's twin brother. After the start, Brad dropped our bikes at the first transition; Andrew shot ahead to drop off the second K2 (Steven and I dropped the first on Saturday afternoon).

We started running at 05h30 from Maritzburg and the course seemed to never stray too far from the Comrades route (same with the bike - until we dropped into the valley leading to Inanda Dam). Adri and I took the run nice and easy, paying heed to advice from friends. The run is a nice one along jeep track and single trail. I really enjoy the vegetation in KZN - very fresh, lush and green, which is such a contrast to the highveld, even in summer!

A pretty tree-lined avenue
With about 3km to go, Adri's knee started playing up and needed regular stretching. She has been doing rehab for many weeks. She's running really well so this is quite an issue. She'll be at the bio on Wednesday - he'll check it out. Tough situation with four weeks to go.

Adri running down a trail towards one of the five waterpoints
After a few stretches at intervals, we ran strong into the transition where Brad was waiting with my friend Fred. Adri and I got our bike stuff together and we were off - to be stopped at the nearby railway crossing. I quite enjoyed seeing the train and its load of containers.

The bike route also seems to stay near the Comrades route and we rode a number of sections on the tar road. The single track sections, especially in the second half of the ride, were my favourite. And there was even a hike-a-bike section! It felt just like an adventure race. The route has a number of climbs, but nothing too long or terrible. A good balance overall.

We got to the paddle transition about 1h05 behind Steven and Lizelle (they took 30 mins out of us on the run; and another 30mins on the bike). I was quite looking forward to the paddle but we had been warned that the later we get there the more the wind will be blowing and the more trying the conditions.

George kindly lent us his 'love boat', a K2 Accord decorated with hearts. George and his wife, Penny, did Dusi together this year. Adri and I hopped in, with me driving, and off we went, heading for the dam wall.

We'd been told to head for the wall for the take out for the first portage and then the gazebo, which we could see, would be the put-in. Turns out the gazebo was take-out and put-in; a little 10m portage. So, we did a bit extra distance and time - no worry.

At the gazebo I got out of the boat and my upper thighs cramped - for the first time ever! Arrggghhh... not nice. The steering pedals had been a bit too far away (with boat on land when I got in, rudder was up so pedals were forward - once inside the pedals went back, away from me) so I had to stretch my legs to reach them. This must have been what did it. I had to stand for a while. A kind guy offered me some ice - he'd seen this happen to a number of people that day!

We walked around the banner and got back into the boat, after I'd adjusted the seat one notch forward. Perfect!

We set off to the far take-out, which we didn't know how to find. The checkpoint people pointed us in the right direction and off we went. I remembered what it should look like from a Google Earth image but when your eyes are almost water-level, it isn't very easy to recognise land features.

The safety boats weren't around us at all but then finally a boat came near and we asked where to go - he pointed ahead. Nearing the take-out we saw another boat and the guy told us to paddle between the buoys "over there". We couldn't see a thing! The buoys were navy blue on dark, turbulent water.

On this, I must say that Adri and I rocked. From the start of the paddle we had rough waves, which crashed on to our deck a number of times. We also paddled with waves side on and we didn't even wobble once - it was awesome! I love paddling into the wind and into the waves, so I got a lot of that too.

Approaching land we spotted another double and two singles on the beach, which was useful to show us where to get out. This was the second portage (a real one) - up and over a spur to the put-in on the other side. It went well and remains my only physical after-effect of the race (sore/bruised shoulder bones from carrying the boat).

We put-in at the same time as another girl pair. They tipped a bit at the put-in, just as we were moving off. The children swimming got a good laugh from that.
Protected from the wind the first part around the spur was pretty flat - and then we hit the action. I loved it!

And then we were at the end, welcomed by Brad, Andrew, Fred, Steven, Lizelle and George. Max, on microphone, welcomed us in. Adri and I were at the back (not very back, but back) of the field. We completed the route in 09h30.

Then back to Maritzburg to shower and then drive the 600-odd km back to Jo'burg. A long, long day.

I thoroughly enjoyed this event and I've definitely do it again. The route is pleasant, the markings were good and it makes for a super day out. Only improvement would be some buoys (not navy blue! orange, white, red, yellow would be better) on the paddle and bright feather banners at the second portage take-out. I guess, as an adventure racer, that I'm not very good at following pointing fingers - I like knowing where I'm going.

Very big thanks for Max Cluer, who sponsored our entries to his race in support of our preparations for Abu Dhabi Adventure Challenge. Thanks to George for the use of his 'love boat' and two splashies. Fred, super to see you in person - thank you for cheering for us. And bit thanks to Brad and Andrew for taking such good care of us and our bikes and stuff on this long day out. And Adri, I thoroughly enjoyed our day together - it was a pleasure to do this race with you.

Lizelle S.
In my preperation for the event this weekend, all I kept saying to myself was that "this is exactly like a triathlon". I was completely WRONG!!! This was ten times more exciting, more breath-taking and more challenging that any triathlon I have ever done.

My awesome team mate, Steven, and I decided to go HARD from the start. Unfortunately, my 20km run was did not go exactly as I planned - let's just say I made a
few extra runs to the bushes, which did not help at all. After our 20km run I felt so sick. Steven gave me alot of encouraging words and on the biking leg I felt as if I was back in the game.

I have no idea where we rode but I definitely know it was the most hilliest climbs ever, which I soooo loved. The down hills were by far my weakest point kept on thinking, "I cannot get injured now, Abu Dhabi is around the corner", so that made me perhaps too cautious. However, we still had an amazing ride, at that stage we were first in our category (mixed pairs), without knowing it.

The paddling leg was a lot more challenging than we expected, especially, the over-the-hill portage leg. All my shoulders can say is OUCHY!

As we eventually reached the end, a mixed team came sprinting past us. We were at such a chilled stage that we thought "Ah, well let them get whatever place", which it turned out was first place! BIG MISTAKE from our part, but at least we still had great fun.

I can honestly say that it was a smart option to do my first Triple Challenge with a team mate, as without one I might have, dare I say, WITHRAWN from the race, especially since I felt like hell at the start. Having someone with you makes you so much more driven to succeed. When I am all grown-up one day, I would love to give the individual race a go - one of my new goals.

Steven in front with Lizelle coming up.
Photo from Triple Challenge Facebook gallery

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.